Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ordered some new audio equipment for better videos

Rather than strictly using my Creative Labs Vado HD with it's built in mic to record my videos, I thought I would get a new pocket camera with an external input jack.  I wasn't really thrilled with all of the reviews, though the Kodak PlayTouch Zi10 almost made me pull the trigger.  Instead, I've decided to try using my iPhone 4.  I did a few sample runs just for video testing purposes and it works really well - even better on on the up-close macro-type shots of the Alesis console.  You can actually see the display very well - where as they up-close shots were a bit blurry in previous videos.

So now for the audio - I found this company KVConnection that makes a cable specifically to bring mic level or line level inputs into your iPhone. So I ordered the line level version of this cable. Link is here.

So that gets the audio INTO the iPhone, but where is it coming from?  I've also ordered a little clip-on lavaliere mic. The Audio-Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone. Really good reviews for a $20 mic.  It's has a 20 ft cable attached.  I'll be connecting that cable into my mixer, an Alesis MultiMix 8 USB FX.  Then I'll be able to bring audio out of my mixer into the iPhone which will have the sound from my little mic as well as the audio coming out of the Alesis DM8 module.

Hopefully this all works out well. I'll post some more videos when I have all of the gear.

1 comment:

  1. An interesting dialogue is price comment. I feel that it is best to write more on this matter, it may not be a taboo topic however usually individuals are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers. smoke and mirrors

    ReplyDelete